In keeping with the Mission and Values, the Hospital recognizes, affirms, and advises patients and responsible parties of their rights and responsibilities.
You, as a patient of the Hospital, have the right to be advised of specific rights and how to exercise them.
Those rights include the right to:
- Considerate, respectful, quality care.
- Participate in decisions about your care.
- Current information concerning your diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis in terms you can understand.
- Receive information necessary to give informed consent prior to any procedure and/or treatment except in emergencies.
- Refuse treatment to the extent permitted by law and Hospital policy and to be informed of the medical consequences of this action.
- Consent to, or decline to participate in, experimentation affecting your care or treatment without fear of reprisal.
- Appropriate assessment and management of pain.
- Expect that, within its capacity and policies, the Hospital will provide evaluation, service, and/or referral.
- Be informed about any relationship with other healthcare/educational institutions as far as your care is concerned.
- Privacy, confidentiality, (including your hospital records), security and safety.
- Formulate and have honored an Advance Directive in accordance with the laws of Indiana and the mission of the Hospital, and the appropriateness of the setting.
- Your family/designated representative to exercise your rights/responsibilities when you are unable to do so; and to have notified upon admission, a family member or appointed representative and your physician.
- Request an Ethics Consultation for assistance in clarifying ethical issues guiding treatment decisions.
- Be informed of available resources for timely resolution of disputes, grievances, and conflicts without fear of reprisal. (Dial the hospital’s toll free number, 1-855-489-3410).
- Continuity of care, education, and discharge planning.
- Examine your clinical records and/or your bill (and receive explanation of charges) and to have your request granted within a reasonable time frame.
- Be informed of any adverse or unexpected event related to your care.
- Contact the Indiana Department of Health at (800) 246-8908 or DNV GL Healthcare at (866) 496-964 if you have a concern regarding your care/safety that was not resolved at the hospital level.
- Receive care that is free from physical or mental abuse, corporal punishment or restraint/seclusion imposed as a means of coercion, discipline, convenience, or retaliation.
You, as a patient of the Hospital and participant in your care, agree to:
- Provide complete, accurate information in matters of your health as far as possible.
- Request additional information or clarification about your health status or treatment when you do not fully understand information and instructions.
- Make known to your physician, caregiver, and the Hospital, any advance directives or religious/cultural beliefs to be honored if/when you are unable to speak for yourself.
- Follow the treatment plan as ordered by the physician responsible for your care. The consequences of noncompliance or refusal of recommended treatment and instruction rests with you.
- Be responsible for assuring financial obligations for care received are fulfilled as promptly as possible.
- Be responsible for following rules and regulations affecting patient care, confidentiality, conduct, and safety.
- Report any perceived safety issue to any staff member.
- Treat hospital personnel, other patients and their visitors with respect and courtesy.
- Respect the rights of other individuals by refraining from using loud and offensive behavior.
- Refrain from smoking, bringing alcohol, and/or illegal drugs.
- Refrain from bringing weapons and/or sharp objects that could result in injury to self or others.
- Respect property.